Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Blog Chain: How Did I Get Here?

Blog chain time again! This one was started by Margie. She asked:

How did you come to write your YA genre (e.g. contemp, fantasy, etc.)? AND (yep, it’s a 2 parter), if you weren’t writing that, what genre would you be interested in exploring?

My current project, Embrol, is YA SciFi, though I don't think is falls squarely under that genre. And it's kind of a superhero novel, but it doesn't fall squarely under that either. The idea behind it has been brewing for as long as I can remember--even before I started writing seriously two years ago.

Growing up, I liked to imagine what I'd put in a world if I could create my own. I always thought at least some of the people should have superpowers, and I would go over and over in my head all the problems that might arise from that. And though I don't have any other completed novels, everything else I've started has ended up with the MC or the main secondary character having some kind of extra ability, even if I didn't start with that intention. I guess I just like my characters to be something more than human. 

And of course, there's always romance in there, no matter what I'm working on. :)

If I were to change genres, I'd really love to try horror, though that one really scares me. And not because it's horror. ;) I just think it would be a real challenge to write something that would scare someone else. Be fun to try though.

What about you? What drew you to your preferred genre? Is there anything else you'd like to try?

Be sure to check out Shaun's awesome post from yesterday, and I'm sure Cole will have some great stuff to share with us tomorrow. :)

17 comments:

  1. I was drawn to fantasy and urban fantasy for the same reasons, I love creating my own world :) Also because a lot of the fantasy books I read were the whole 'damsel in distress' ideals which many know I HATE! So I've done my own - and it kicks arse ;p

    http://damselinadirtydress.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always thought at least some of the people should have superpowers, and I would go over and over in my head all the problems that might arise from that.

    Great practice for world-building, Abby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always wanted to escape the ordinary, escape my reality. That's why I read fantasy almost to the exclusion of all else. YA was always a little cleaner than the adult stuff so that's what drew me in there. I've enjoyed writing adult, but the muse is calling me back to YA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love characters that are more than human. That's probably why I write UF/horror/paranormal YA. Daydreaming of all those fun things you can put into a world to make it your own, that's the stuff great world-building's made of. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried adult fiction for years and finally threw in the towel. YA is much more my style. I'd like to go back and try the adult thing one day, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also like to give my characters superhuman powers. And yes, that means they get superhuman problems too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love getting into your head a bit! great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh, Horror. Now you're speaking my language :) I'd love to read something you wrote in that genre. If you ever do try it out and need a beta, feel free to drop me a line.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My current WIP is a YA dystopian/scifi. I love anything that is considered spec fiction. Putting someone who is ordinary in unusual circumstances is much more interesting than the usual stuff. Hmmm...if I could write something else I guess I'd try a thriller. I've always liked reading those, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooo romance and superpowers - now that's my idea of an awesome story :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it's good to have something that's sort of like something else. It makes it fresh, original, unique. And you doing horror? YES.

    ReplyDelete
  12. World building is fun!

    Horror's a great genre...not sure I could pull off scary either, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I first started writing I wanted to write romantic suspense. I wrote several novels in that genre, but then stop writing for a while and I finished my degree. When I starting writing again, I was deep into reading and studying YA time-travel so I wrote several of those and surprise I started selling them.

    But this spring, one of my romantic suspense books will be released. Yes, I'm counting my blessings and I'm very grateful!

    Ooooh! Horror sounds very challenging. But what fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Romance always finds a way into my writing as well. I think everything is better with a little romance;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So, if you could have one superpower, what would it be?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, horror! Now that's one I just don't think I could do. I'm too much of a wimp. It doesn't take much to freak me out! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Horror scares me too. I know the things that I'm afraid of but I'm afraid that no one else would be. I mean, who wants to read an entire book about a bunch of anthropomorphic animals?

    ReplyDelete