Thursday, October 7, 2010

Blog Chain: Mistakes

Seems like I just did one of these... So, it's blog chain time again. Laura started this round. She asked:

Regarding your writing career, what’s the best mistake you’ve ever made and why?

I think, at this point, my best mistake would have to be querying too early. That probably doesn't sound like a very good mistake, but if I hadn't queried when I did, I don't know if I ever would've realized that draft wasn't good enough. And if I hadn't realized that, I never would've started over, and I'd still be trying to perfect a draft that would never be good enough. It had way too many problems. So, yes, the few rejections I got were painful, but one personalized rejection (even though it was only one sentence) was all it took to put me on the path I'm on now and put me just a little closer to being the writer I want to be.

So, what about all of you? What's your best mistake?

Cole is up tomorrow and be sure to head over to Shaun's blog to check out his awesome mistake.

16 comments:

  1. My best mistake? Going to a writing class I know I didn't fit in with writers who didn't like my style, learning from them, and sticking with the class even when I wanted to quit. I learned a lot about my writing and my goals from that experience and though I don't want to relive it, I'm glad I didn't throw in the towel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always tough to know when to query. At least you had the courage to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omigosh - what was the one sentence?! Kidding. Nosy nelly here. It's really great you could take constructive criticism for what it's meant to be - a help. Too many don't, I imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yeah, I totally queried waaaaaay to soon, LOL! But I certainly learned a lot since. Great answer! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I learned a lot from querying too soon. Even though I burned a few bridges, I got some interesting feedback on my work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh yes, the fun of querying. I'm actually glad I haven't done this yet, because I am learning so much from all the people who make these mistakes (and hopefully I won't do the same thing when I'm ready to jump out there).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep. Did the same thing. I've always considered it my "biggest" mistake, but come to think of it, yeah it was also my "best" mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What was the sentence : O

    So many people say quering too early was a mistake that I have a feeling I'm going to put it off for as long as I can : P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Querying too early was my first mistake, too. Luckily, I was able to learn from it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think mine is the same - querying too early. But it really taught me a lot - about query writing, about revision, and about planning ahead for the next novel. So it was a good mistake for its educational aspects!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good post! I'm glad you got a helpful comment from an agent. Sounds like you're on the right path!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing your mistake. I've made so many I'd have to write a book...hmmm. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bonjour, Sebast Here, I like this get-up I could definitely get absorbed here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Querying too early is such a double-edged sword because you have to weigh the fear of blowing your chances with the opportunity to get some book-changing feedback. I think any situation that allows you to learn and grow as a writer is worth the risk. The fact that you were able to take one sentence and really learn from it is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh, I like this. And what a great concept--your ability to feel grateful for querying too soon and how it ended up being a good thing for you. That's big. I'm trying to think of what my BEST mistake was. I guess it would be saying YES to an agent who turned out to be a flake--but at least I got to learn from her (and she really does know her stuff!) and now my book is going to be really rockin' awesome because of her. It's just too bad she's gonna miss out on all the benefits, lol. ;)

    ReplyDelete