Tuesday, November 1, 2011

NaNo... Out... Mo?

I'm sure all of you are aware that NaNoWriMo starts today. I thought about participating, but I just can't write that fast. I'm too much of a perfectionist. Yes, I realize getting over perfectionism is a really good reason to do NaNoWriMo, but I think it would be counterproductive for me. I tried it once, for a week and a half, and I wrote a lot (around 18,000 words). But I got so burnt out, I couldn't write anything for like a month. So, yeah, not happening.

I'm a pantser through and through, but I think I might be able to outline successfully if I really dedicate myself. So that's what I'm gonna do. I've had a story bouncing around in my head for several months now as I've been wrapping up the last round of rewrites on Embrol. And now that I'm querying Embrol--first query goes out today (yikes!)--Descent can finally have my undivided attention. Poor Descent. So neglected. ;)

Armed with my shiny new copy of Outlining Your Novel: Map Your Way to Success by K. M. Weiland, my goal is to have my whole story completely mapped out by the end of November. And the number one rule is NO WRITING. This will be hard so for me. Every time I try to outline I only make it through three or four chapters before I just want to get going on it already and then it's bye-bye outline and hello 7000 rewrites. :(

So, who's with me? Any pantsers out there who want to join me? Maybe we can form a support group. ;)

Good luck to everyone doing NaNo!

2 comments:

  1. Not gonna happen this year. Focusing on the wip. I'm going for word count, but if I just focus on word count, I'll be in trouble. So no nano for moi.

    Good luck plotting! Can't wait to hear more about Descent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing it, but we'll see how it goes. The way I look at it, I can either yank the band-aid off with NaNo and write a crappy first draft or drag it out over months and write a crappy first draft. Either way, I'll have major rewrites up ahead. At least with NaNo, I go into revisions without thinking I can salvage most of it.

    ReplyDelete