Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Blog Chain: Changes in Publishing

The blog chain is back! This round was started by Sandra. She asked:

Have the recent changes in the publishing industry affected your writing plans/career? If so, how?

At this point, I'm going to say no. I haven't queried anything in quite a while, so I'm still in that delusional "I'm going to get published no matter what, because I'm awesome" mindset. Well, most days anyway. Today isn't one of those days, but yesterday was, so I'm sure I'll get back to that soon.

I'm really close to the end of my rewrites, so maybe I'll change my mind later, but for now I'm hoping to go the traditional route. Besides, I want to be able to hold my book, and I really want to see my book on a shelf in a bookstore with a pretty hardcover. Aim high, right? ;)

So what about you? Have the changes in publishing affected your writing plans?

Be sure to check out Christine's post from yesterday and Amparo's tomorrow. :)

12 comments:

  1. I'm going to say no since I just barely started querying for the first time. I think it's still too early for me to be re-considering my traditional publishing hopes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great mindset, Abby! I completely agree (about both of us). There's nothing quite like positive thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you should "never say never" but I can't imagine a situation where I'd ever want to self publish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 100% agree with you! I honestly see myself sticking with traditional publishing in the long run. But I also think self-pubbing is an option that works well for a lot of writers.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude - I am living in that same delusions! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's exactly where I'm at with my query phase right now. When I get back to the point where I'm ready to query again, I'll take the traditional route... for a time. I like to keep my options open.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No. My goal is traditional publishing, but I suppose it could change some day. Just not yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aim high! Hear, hear!!

    And I haven't queried in over a year, so my confidence is at an all-time high. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Abby, I like the idea of seeing my book on the shelf and sniffing the cover too. But, I wonder if that dream might be detrimental to some of our careers...who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  10. lol delusions of grandeur are what keep me writing :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, you are awesome. And yes, you are going to get published. If we all had your iron determination and will...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your attitude is great! I definitely don't think publishing is dead. I don't think paper books are dead either. Even if we eventually relegate paper books to specialty items, e-books will still need publishers. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete