Monday, January 3, 2011

I'm Back! Really.

I'm not going to write a post about all my resolutions for 2011. The list would be way too long. But I will tell you what my plans are for the blog and my writing.

1. No more slacking. I got a little overwhelmed in 2010 for several reasons, most of them totally unrelated to writing. But new year, new me, right? Sure, Abby. Whatever you say.... ;)

2. I will blog regularly. I think I've got my head in order now (doesn't mean I'm sane), so I've set a schedule for the blog. I'll be posting three days a week.

Making it Up as I Go Monday: This will be the day I focus on writing topics. I'm far from an expert, hence the title. :)

Word Tip Wednesday: Since technology and I usually get along pretty well, I'm always finding new and exciting ways to use MS Word to make my writing life easier, so I thought I'd share a tip a week rather than keep it all to myself. I don't know how many posts this will produce, but I'll keep it going as long as possible. And I might throw in some spreadsheet tips for Excel while I'm at it. The spreadsheet I made for my WIP has been so helpful in keeping things organized, especially as I've been putting together outlines for the sequels to EMBROL. That's right, I said outlines. I, self-proclaimed pantser, made outlines. Yea! More on that in a minute.

Totally Random Friday: I think this one is pretty self-explanatory.

3. I will complete a new project that has nothing to do with EMBROL. I've spent the last two years focused on EMBROL--writing, revising, rewriting from scratch, more revising and rewriting. It's close to ready to query, so I need to start something new. And I need to prove to myself that I can follow through on something different without being sucked back into Olivia and Jack's world.

4. I will outline. I've discovered some new techniques for getting my thoughts in order before I start writing scenes, so I plan to implement those and hopefully have a little less chaos in my writing. Maybe I'll even do a post or two about how it works out, to maybe help some of my fellow pantsers out there. :)

Thanks, everyone, for hanging in there with me while I got my act together. I've missed all of you! I'm looking forward to catching up. :)

So, what are your plans for the new year? Anything huge? Any big news I missed?

13 comments:

  1. Welcome back and Happy New Year! Great resolutions. Mine are similar.
    Have a great day. I'm looking forward to your posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back. I've definitely got similar goals this year. Everything really got chaotic toward the end of the year, so I'm planning to keep on top of blogging and writing, as well as all the little challenges that life throws my way. I look forward to reading some of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back! Sounds like you've got a good plan. Working on a new project is always fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see what you're planning to teach us about Word.

    Welcome to club outliners. You'll love it here. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year! These are all great goals, I'm hoping to do something similar myself - I definitley need to get the blogging on a schedule! And of course new projects are so much fun! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice to have you back. i'm planning on finishing my sequel this year, but that could change. i hope to get started on the 3rd draft in the next few days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with the goals for the year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year. And gee I'm so glad I'm not the only one setting goals :)

    I like what you're proposing for the blog going forward. It sounds like this should turn out great. I still can't believe you're outlining, but Woohoo for you! Keep a candle lit for me - I may get there someday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooh i'm excited about the word tip wednesday since even though i'm very good with excel, i'm still shockingly crappy with word. I just figured out how to bookmark last week

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New Year! I always find starting over in the new year so refreshing. Hope you have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! We'll be hearing more from you : D

    I have to start a blog, but I'm too scared I won't put the right comas in the right places :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like some great goals for the new year. I have some similar ones.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great resolutions! I wish you every success.

    ReplyDelete