Monday, March 22, 2010

Motivational Monday—Sort Of

This is a repost from July 31, 2009.

Warm Fuzzy Preserves - Anybody Know Where I Can Buy Some?

Wouldn’t it be great if there was a way to store some confidence and good feelings for all the crappy days? When you're feeling down, just pop open a jar of warm fuzzy preserves and you're good to go? It's amazing how fleeting those feelings can be.

Several rejections on my query [July 2009], combined with a whole slew of other things that have been weighing down on me lately, got me thinking about how quickly we can lose the confidence that’s so necessary in this business. It amazes me how one day I can read something I’ve written and think it’s total crap but go back to it a week later and think it’s brilliant. And, of course, that works in the reverse as well, probably more frequently. Unfortunately.

It’s difficult to maintain confidence in your own work, especially with the abundance of exceptional work already out there. I often find myself comparing my work to others', even though there should be no comparison. Other than the technical aspect, my writing should be my own and whatever so-n-so does over there, should have no bearing on whether my work is good enough. Yet, even knowing that, I tend to hold myself to unreasonable standards, which only contribute to those am I good enough feelings.

Negativity is effortless for me. I wish I could be the kind of person that always looks on the bright side of things. I try, I really do, but some days, the dark, self-destructive thoughts just overpower everything else. Fortunately, I’m blessed to have a loving and supportive family and an undeniable faith in something greater than myself that give me a safe place to fall when I’m feeling the worst. And being able to express myself creatively has provided me with an outlet for those dark thoughts that would otherwise stay locked inside.

Whether it’s through drawing, painting, or writing, the act of creating something has a way of pulling me out of those dark places. Maybe it’s the pride of knowing I made something beautiful, in my mind at least. Maybe it’s that little feeling of power that I’m capable of creation. Whatever it is, creativity is my most effective tool for bringing me back to reality, even if it means I’m totally immersed in some imaginary world.

And of course, I couldn’t do it without all the amazing friends I’ve made through blogging. You guys are all so supportive and totally awesome!

So, do you ever have those days where you feel like nothing you do will ever be good enough? And what do you do to combat it? Is losing yourself in your work enough or do you find you have to step away and come back when you feel like you can have a more objective perspective?

15 comments:

  1. The same thing happens to me: I look at my writing and think it's all bad, and the next day, I'll look at it and think it's good.

    It would be nice to have a jar of "warm and fuzzy" reserve! My reserve is my support group of family, friends, and critique buddies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This seems to happen more often than not. It is a vicious cycle that takes hold and I can't seem to snap out of it. Everyone needs a jar of "warm and fuzzy".
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it helps to read something that inspires you. Give yourself a boost of writing that you love and remember why you do what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you develop one of those storage jars, I would like to buy one please. And it always seems that the lows following the highs are that much lower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll take a jar of warm fuzzies, too, please. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having one of those days today! How is it we're on the same wavelength lately? ;)

    Thanks for the fuzzies! I needed them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the photo! Yes, I certainly have those days when I feel like my writing stinks and I don't know why I want to continue. However, they pass. I find having lunch with a friend or talking to a fellow writer helpful for restoring my confidence.

    It's hard not to be disappointed by rejections, but try not to take them personal and don't let them get you down.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i just try to ignore it. Sooner or later it will pass and i'll be on the upswing and think everything is great again. Time seems to be the greatest cure-all

    ReplyDelete
  9. I felt like that all last week. I'm trying to be more positive this week, hopefully it will work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The photo gave me warm fuzzies - thanks! I definitely have those days. That's when chocolate/ cupcakes/ sticky toffee pudding/ coffee/ wine comes in handy. I am all about comfort eating.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This happens to me so often it makes me want to cry. I just try to push through it, remembering that the last time I felt this way, I felt better eventually. Eventually will always come.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel that way often. I walk away from the publishing game for a day or two. That usually helps me get my confidence level back up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have those days all the time!! You aren't alone, and the nagging self-doubt you sometimes feel plagues us all.

    Power through the tough days, and don't forget to smile extra wide on the days when all is going well!!

    ((hugs)) Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  14. Do I ever have those days? The last three days were those days. =P Sometimes I wonder what the heck I think I'm doing. But then you say something like this:

    "Maybe it’s the pride of knowing I made something beautiful, in my mind at least"

    And I know that I'm happier doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I could use some fuzzies today :). I love this post--it helps me realize I'm not alone! We can do this togther, but we have to have faith in ourselves.

    ReplyDelete