Tuesday, April 6, 2010

I Think I'm Addicted to Post-its

I am a pantser. Or so I thought. And I don't know if this would work for a first draft for me, but it's working great for my rewrite, and I'll definitely give it a try at the start of my next project.

So first there was this.


Then, over spring break when I was away from my computer, I had some quiet time to think about my story. The 20-hour drive there and 17-hour drive home also gave me some good thinking time. Well, when the kids weren't fighting anyway. :) Plus, Staples sent me my rewards certificate, and based on a recommendation from my awesome friend and crit buddy, Tere Kirkland, I used it to buy this.


It has tabbed dividers and an elastic strap that holds it closed, which helps everything stay tucked inside. I had a green pen too, but I think I left in AZ. :( I love green pens.

Before I left home, I wrote down everything from my whiteboard outline on some Post-it Page Markers and tucked it into the nifty pocket in my notebook, along with a pad of lined Post-its. Isn't that pocket so cool?


While the kids swam at Grandma's (yes, the water was freezing, but it was 90 degrees outside), I used the page markers to divide up the pages and jotted down some quick notes about what I wanted to happen in each scene, plus anything else that came to me--dialogue between the characters, emotions I want to come through. The lined Post-its are awesome for adding in notes when the pages are full or just when I have multiple ideas for a scene. Then it's out of my head and I can think clearer.


It's nice too, because as I'm writing, if I have an idea for a future scene I can jot it down in there and continue with what I was working on before. This method would work great without using an outline too. Just write random scene ideas in no particular order and mark the pages with Post-its. Then when you're ready to write that particular scene, you have all your ideas there.

Doing this has helped me see the end of the story much clearer. I'm still not set on the details, but I have a few versions written down in my notebook. :) This also helped clear my head so I could figure out the purpose of one of my new secondary characters. His presence was a little pointless before, but now his role is key to the story.

So now I'm anxious to write some new words. I spent yesterday cleaning my house and doing recovery laundry from the trip so I could get some words down today without any distractions. Then I woke up to this.


Five fresh inches of snow and school cancelled. So I don't know how much I'll get done today, but hopefully this info has been helpful to some of you.

Have any of you done anything similar to this? Any of you pantsers out there willing to give it a try? Any recommendations?

*I'm still working my way through the First Page Blogfest posts. If I haven't gotten to yours yet, I will soon. I'm determined to read all of them. :)*

23 comments:

  1. I'm also addicted to Post-its. I have notes all over my computer workspace reminding me of things I want to include in my wip or things I need to remember because of a change I made in my wip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love post its for story ideas. I keep lists on notepads for my novels. I have a POV list to keep track of which chapter has which POV, a word count list, chapter title list, and others. Looks like you scored some awesome notebook stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I'm a panster too, but I've found myself being more of a planner during my rewrites. These are some great tips with the post its. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps I ought to use post-its to help organize my binders for my projects. The thing is, I'm OCD organized for my poetry collections I'm working on. But the novel binders are a mess. There's stuff all over the place in those binders and it takes forever to find some things. Sigh.

    But the first picture makes my head hurt. I cannot plan in that much detail ahead of time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool! Thanks for including the pictures - they really help visualize what you're doing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOOOOVE Post-its!! I'm right there w ya!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I dub you organization queen! Awesome! And look at all that snow... You could send some of that my way. I miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually do have something in the vague shape of an outline for my current WIP. But I really just love writing what I want and learning more as I go. It's worked for me for years and I'm definitely an "ain't broke, don't fix it" kinda girl.

    But I do admire those who can organize their writings and follow said organizations. Especially in pretty notebooks and folders.

    Oh! And so sorry about the snow! I would be so irritated.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love post -its (but get mad when they stop sticking and fall), and am a total pants-er. (i prefer 'instinctive') he he

    I do love me some pens! I don't have any green ink pens...hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I consider post-its and colored pens a necessity when editing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to be a post-it floozy. I was anybody's for a post it. I loved them so much! In fact, the whole rim of my computer monitor was covered in post-its.

    I'm not sure what happened, but somehow, somewhere, I went off post-its and abandoned them for - gasp - a plain notebook.

    You seem very organised!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. I'm impressed. I love Post-it notes. And I'm giving the whole outlining with index card and post-its and a grid thing a try too. We'll see how that works. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha! I just went to the dollar store to replenish my supply :D Whenever I send out gift or contest winner baskets to writers, I always include post its. My desk is COVERED in them.

    My husband has even started saying "go write it on a post it" whenever something important comes up that I can't forget.

    I also recently started using index cards on a cork board in a similar manner as you've got with your post its and dry erase board. It's been very helpful actually :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great tips. I'm glad you included the photos so we could see what you were talking about. I'm inspired to start outlining just so I can buy cool stuff at Staples.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You look like a closet-outliner to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Today is the first day - in my whole life - I have ever seen the word "pantser" in relation to writing, and in the last half hour, your blog is the second place I've seen it.

    Weird.

    I do not know what a pantser is.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have some great ideas. I've used the post-its and have outlined on white boards, too. Both have been helpful. BUT what helps me the most is writing consistently and making goals. Loved your pictures!
    And snow??? We had some here in SLC, but nothing like that. Is this January or what?

    ReplyDelete
  18. While I'm in awe at your preparation and your process, I know I would never be able to stick to anything like that. I do admit that I have done rough outlines of my newest WiP (a short story), but it was chicken scratch next to you all of this. If it works for you, more power to you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great idea! I think I need to get one of those notebooks. I really like what you did with it. =]

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hmmm...I may have to try this when I start my revisions. Thanks for including the pics:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I organize via computer. I have about 20 different documents for my main WIP. Each one with different things. I don't know how I would do with all the papery things. It feels kinda cluttery (says the girl who has folder after folder of papers everywhere)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Have to say that I'm a total plotter. I do use post it notes when I'm reading for research. Any story ideas or facts that would be great for the story I write on the note and leave stuck in the book, so i can find the spot again more easily.

    ReplyDelete
  23. HA! I am totally addicted to post-its...TOTALLY

    ReplyDelete