Monday, August 24, 2009

Perspective

Apparently, I was due for a good, strong dose of perspective. I’ve been really stressed and whiny lately. I won’t go into detail, but we own our own business and with the wonderful economy, well, you know. Same crap a lot of people are going through right now. That stress seems awfully trivial after this past weekend.

As some of you already know, my 9-year-old daughter was in the hospital over the weekend with appendicitis. We were very blessed to catch it early, and it was removed without any complications. We only had to stay in the hospital two days and two nights, and she’ll be back to school tomorrow. It could have been so much worse.

It really helped me see my life from a much different angle. I’ll take financial stress any day over having one of my kids in the hospital. I am so grateful my kids are healthy. I have the utmost respect for parents who have kids who spend months and months in the hospital fighting terrible illnesses. I can’t imagine enduring that. I’m exhausted after only a couple of days.

A few things I learned (or was reminded of) this weekend:

*I have the BEST sisters in the world. They, along with my awesome friend Tori, stepped in and took my other two kids so my daughter could have both Mom and Dad at the hospital with her.

*I really, really like my bed. Really. =)

*I can look at blogs on my cell phone. I’ve had internet on my phone for over a year, but I’ve never taken the time to really see what it was capable of. Had some spare time this weekend and a whole new world of cell phone usage has opened up for me. Not sure if that’s a good thing. :-S

*Staying in the hospital is a lot like querying. There’s waiting for test results, wondering if the news will be good or bad. Waiting for the surgeon to come tell you what the plan of action is. Waiting for the surgery to be done, hoping it will all go perfectly. Waiting for the surgeon to release you from the hospital. Waiting. Waiting. Waiting. And then more waiting. :D

Thank you, everyone, for your supportive comments and emails. You guys are the best!

So, anyone else have any enlightening or harrowing experiences recently? Any good news you want to share? I’m totally up for some good news. :D

11 comments:

  1. Wish I had some good news for you, we had a death in the family, my husband's grandfather. Also, my scooter died and my husband got a tooth drawn, so we are not the happiest people right now. ;)
    On the bright side, I'm happy to hear your daughter is okay, and that your phone is cool. Mine doesn't even record video, it's so lame.

    Thanks for giving me some fresh perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, so glad your daughter is home and healthy and you are all enjoying your own beds. I totally get the perspective thing .... everything is realative. And, while no one wants to go through a weekend like your family just did -- it is a blessing to be reminded of what we have. Good thoughts for a new week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tere: Thanks for the support. I'm sorry things are sucky for you right now. And so sorry to hear about your husband's grandfather. Seems like everything kind of crumbles at once, huh? Hope things are looking up soon. :)

    Tess: Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abby I'm so happy your daughter is ok.I'm smiling from ear to ear.

    I don't have anything awesome to share.. well except my son got a C in Geometry. ha! after last year a C is GREAT! kinda like an A. Shhh, not really.. but heck. I'm happy..or pretending to be with it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. *hugs* I'm glad everything's okay. Isn't perspective an amazing thing? Reminds us of what we really do have, and all that we take for granted. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tami: Thank you! And congrats to your son on his C. Sometimes, you just gotta take what you can get. ;)

    Danyelle: Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad she is better. that must have been really scary. I know what you mean about being thankful for healthy children. Some families live up at the hospital and like you I am very grateful I am not one of them.

    Enjoy that bed:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad your daughter is okay. I completely agree with you about having healthy children. I thank my lucky stars every day that my boys are healthy and able to function without problems.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh! I'm so glad your little girl is okay! We'll definitely be keeping you guys in our prayers. Financial stress is never fun, but it is nice when you realize that as long as you're together with the people who love you, it's going to be okay.

    Tere--we'll definitely keep you guys in our prayers, too. Condolences on your loss, and I hope you have a much better week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am soooo happy it was as good as it could be. Pass on my get well wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Tabitha, Eric, Becca, and Anita! She's doing much better and went to school today without any problems. :D

    ReplyDelete