Thursday, February 18, 2010

Hello. My name is Abby. And I'm a Lurker. (Repost)

Since it's technically unplug week and I have a few things I need to get caught up on, I'm going to be unplugging this week, but I thought I'd repost some of my favorites so the blog doesn't feel too lonely this week. Have a great week, all!

--------------

Original post here.

Over on the QueryTracker blog, there's a really great post about commenting on agent blogs and leaving comments that will be intriguing enough to motivate readers and/or agents to check out your blog.

I personally like to lurk most of the time. I don't usually comment unless I feel like what I have to say is pertinent or funny, and the things I think are funny, don't always come across as funny to others, even in a face-to-face conversation. I find that my husband is laughing at me just as often as with me. So, I don't comment much. I know I should, and it will only help my platform (currently my least favorite word), but in the real world, I can't jump into a conversation of strangers, and say something witty and memorable. I like to really think about what I'm going to say and analyze it to death first. Unless I know you well, and then I've been told to 'just shut up already' pretty regularly.

Anyway. On some of these blogs, the regulars already seem to have a natural, flowing back and forth going, and I feel like I'm stepping into the middle of a conversation of old friends. Then I picture them all kind of looking at eachother, and with valley girl voices saying things like, "Who is that girl?" "She's wierd." "Did we ask her opinion?" "I don't think so." "Whatever." Lots of hair flipping and noses in the air.

Okay, so maybe the things that happen inside my head are a tad melodramatic, and the rational part of my brain knows that this is not happening. Well, maybe sometimes. See?! But I have an overactive imagination and I've had a lifetime to practice being a shy, withdrawn person and all the insecurities that come with that personality. So, maybe someday.

I know many of you are incredibly witty, and I'll read comment after comment of thoughtful, funny stuff. So, I'm wondering. Do you comment on every blog you read? Or are you like me, and just lurk until you find you have something incredibly insightful and hilarious to say? We're all incredibly insightful and hilarious, at least in our own minds, right?

7 comments:

  1. Hi Abby, I don't comment on every post. I feel like I'm so new here that everybody is already friends. So I get the same feeling you do, but still try to participate since it's so much fun meeting all of these amazing writers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like comments so I tend to comment on most blogs I read. Unless it's one of those crazy busy days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try to comment as much as possible, but if I don't have anything to say that will add in some way (especially on agent blogs) I stay quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never read this original post, Abby. It's hilarious.

    I'll comment on pretty much anyone's blog except agent's and editor's. I'm afraid that rather than my comment causing them to visit my blog, they'll put me on some kind of "never sign this doofus" list. We know they have one, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I comment often but not on EVERY psot. It really depends on how busy I am, I guess. I just try to be sincere in every comment I do leave. =]

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL. I love the picture. Between twitter and blogs... I feel like I'm constantly commenting. It's worth it, but it keeps us busy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, my name is Abby. And I am a Lurker.

    (^All of that is true.)

    Yeah... this post is spot on. I feel the exact same way. I don't comment on every post for every blog I read (which is about 25 now). It seems like everyone has something awesome and insightful to say, but really, the more I read, the less time I have to write.

    The only blog I consistently comment on are my own and Kiersten White's.

    I'm new to Twitter (@thetabbycatt) and I find it strange jumping in conversations, but... I guess it's the only way to do it.

    ReplyDelete