Sunday, February 6, 2011

Blog Chain: Networking

This chain was started by Amanda. She asked:

Are you a good social networker? What aspect of platform building do you focus on the most? Which aspects freak you out?

I am not a good social networker. This is definitely an area I can improve in.

My focus is usually on blogging, though I'm still kind of working my way back into that right now. I've done a little with Facebook and a teeny tiny bit with Twitter, but it's been difficult to get into those.

I always feel like I'm coming into a party that's already started, especially with Twitter. All the people there seem really nice, but I don't really know any of them very well, so I just lurk in the corner, watching and listening, like a creepy stalker.

So, yeah, the putting-myself-out-there aspect would have to be what freaks me out the most about social networking. But I'm not even querying yet, so I still have time to work on that. :)

What about you? Are you a good social networker? What do you love/hate about it?

Be sure to check out Christine's post from yesterday and Kat's post tomorrow. :)

7 comments:

  1. I lnow how you feel! I always get the impression I'm showing up mid-way through an event. It's hard to loosen up and just be "me".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have a lot to learn. I blog, use Twitter, and Facebook. I'm rarely get on Facebook, but I do check Twitter several times a day. I'm like you, I don't jump into conversations a lot unless I know the person because I feel like I'm intruding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suck at the whole networking thing. I really do. Ask anyone. I like blogging and I like visting other blogs by writers. But as far as Twitter goes, I have an account, but I have NO idea what I'm doing. I'm technologically defunct. I'm still learning, I guess, so I linger and watch and just hope someone will take my hand and say, "It looks like you're lost. Come follow me."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that it can be hard not to feel stalkerish on Twitter. Sometimes, the first time I tweet at someone, particularly another writer, I will let them know I recently read their book or point out other common ground (like when I approached agent mates). It takes away some of the "Who the heck is this person?" feeling we're all paranoid about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "...like a creepy stalker..."

    LOL, sorry but the idea of you as a creepy stalker just cracks me up. You're way to nice for all that. I completely understand what you're saying though. I feel very very late to the party (and I haven't really joined it yet either). Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you may be onto something with that creepy stalker at Twitter comment. I've never really liked Tweeting, and I never could figure out why. Now I think I know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know exactly how you feel. It's amazing how, even as adults, we find ourselves in places where cliques still exist.

    ReplyDelete